Motorcycle accidents often have more devastating consequences for obvious reasons. California is a fault state. If the other motorcyclists or driver was at fault, you could file a third-party claim with their insurer. Winning a settlement, however, could be tough. Insurance companies often use tactics in bad faith to deny claims, and without a lawyer, you could end up with a much lower settlement than what you should get. If you are looking for Sherman Oaks motorcycle accident lawyers, here are some things to know.
Reasons to “lawyer up”
Anyone dealing with the aftermath of an auto accident often has one question in mind – “Should I really spend on an attorney?”. The short answer is yes. While there is no legal obligation to do so, working with a lawyer has many benefits. You should definitely get an attorney aboard if –
- You were partly at fault
- You have endured serious losses
- You have suffered debilitating injuries
- You may end up with permanent disabilities
- You are not sure what caused the accident
Meeting a lawyer
Most personal injury lawyers in Sherman Oaks and LA offer a free initial case evaluation for clients. Even if you don’t hire an attorney eventually, you should consult with them in person to discuss the prospects of the case. You can also take this chance to know the attorney better. Ask questions like –
- What is the worth of my claim?
- How will the contributory negligence laws affect my case if I am at fault?
- How often do you take motorcycle accident cases in your practice?
- What is your success rate? What are some of your top settlements?
- Will you work directly on this case? If not, can I meet my new lawyer?
- How much do I need to pay right now?
- What is your contingency fee like?
In a contingency fee arrangement, the lawyer doesn’t get paid until you win. At times, the lawyer will ask the client to pay the other necessary expenses to investigate the case. If the lawyer is confident of the case, they may even advance these expenses.
The experience of an attorney can make a big difference to the case. Ensure that you select an attorney who is available and has worked on such claims and lawsuits. Also, the lawyer should have courtroom experience, as some motorcycle accident cases do end up in trial. Your lawyer must be capable of offering the support you need.