What Is Black Rice Kheer?
Kola Sawool’or Payoh – Sticky Black Rice Kheer a favorite from the North East of India
If you want to experience a wave of delectable flavors in your mouth then Black Rice Kheer is a must try for you! Made with mixture of black rice, milk, sugar, ghee and cardamom powder; this dessert recipe make you fall in love with this special desert from North East India. The addition of raisins in this dish makes this kheer recipe even more mouth-watering. This dish can be served on any occasion and you are bound to relish the burst of amazing flavors with your loved ones. Ditch all the other usual kheer and try out this new and unique recipe that we exclusively present to you.
Read more about Black Rice in the link below:
Assam Speciality- Black Rice Kheer
Every time I travel to Assam, my native place, I make it a point to relish black rice kheer. It is extensively used in local cuisines of North East India.
Black rice or forbidden rice is a sticky rice black coloured rice with a nutty earthy flavour. It is mostly cultivated in the Northeastern region of India like Manipur , Assam. It has a high level of fiber and nutrients that are very useful for health.
The texture of black rice is a bit stodgier as compared to other varieties of rice, but it has a wonderful nutty flavour and is best enjoyed sweetened with cream or in sweetened desserts, particularly rice puddings.
Kola Bora Sawool’or Payoh/Kheer– Sticky Rice Pudding, a favorite from the North East of India
1 cup glutinous Black Rice (known as Kola Bora Sawool in Assam)
¾ cup sugar, or according to taste
3 cups water
3 cups milk
3 tbsp raisins
3 tbsp chopped nuts
1 bay leaf
1 tsp clarified butter(ghee)
A pinch of salt
Extra chopped nuts, for decorating
- Wash the rice and soak for an hour in cold water.
- Place the water, salt, ghee, bay leaf and cardamoms in a large pot and bring to a rolling boil
- Drain the rice and add to the pot. Lower heat and cook on medium heat, until almost done and most of the water is absorbed
- Pour in the milk and cook, stirring periodically, until milk is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Add sugar, according to taste, nuts and raisins and cook, stirring continuously, until creamy.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to serving bowls. Allow the pudding to cool.
- Serve garnished with chopped nuts.
We have enough stock to be delivered across India , if anyone is interested in trying authentic black rice from Assam do write to us at email@example.com
Or call/ or WhatsApp at