Table of Contents
If you are looking for healthy, fresh food, grown locally in Guwahati, street vegetable markets are the answer.
I always say there is something unique about North Eatern states of India. It keeps me beckoning to the place where I belong – Assam.
What is a Street/Local Vegetable Market ?
Ideally, the agricultural produce of farmers and fruit is usually grown in a countryside that is considered local by market management. The word “local” is characterized by the farmers ‘ market and usually represents goods that are produced in miles or kilometers within a given radius.
These Markets mostly run by Women
These markets are predominantly run by women. In North East India including Assam as history reveals women have ensured that they are treated equally. What I see in women are strong willed women; resilient yet fierce and also they are epitome of love and care.
In northeast india local markets are run mainly by women. See the link:
The cacophony of the street market
Street Vegetable markets in Guwahati are the kind of markets that make a perfect place to explore for a traveller.They brim with charismatic locals sat under bright umbrellas selling anything from the killer chilli to organic ginger and to the dawn’s freshest catch Street market scene is where the allure of Guwahati’s culture comes to life.
Your favourite farmers and producers come together everyday to bring you the best and freshest food. veggies, eggs, plants, ferns, honey, juice, salad, fruit, spices and many more!
It is the perfect place to come spend some time during the day, meeting friends, supporting the community and grabbing some fresh breakfast!
If you wish to shop local, follow the link:
Why local Markets are important:
We call this a market with a purpose.
- Promote the sustainable production, marketing, and consumption of local agricultural produce in season
- Foster trust between growers and consumers
- Educate the community about local growing conditions and food crops as well as sustainable and organic growing practices
- Strengthen the local economy by redirecting consumers’ food dollars to local growers and producers
- Incubate and support new farmers/producers
- Provide a community gathering place
- Connect groups, organisations and businesses working on sustainable living solutions to the community
We present to you a photo gallery of various vegetables generally available in the streets of Guwahati:
Travel and don’t stop !