It was once a farming community. However, it has grown to be a rapidly-growing suburb that is home to a wide range of cultures, races, and religions. Franklin Township was ranked #5 in magazine’s 2008 list of America’s Top 100 Best places to Live.
for web story click here
The Eastern precinct that gave rise to Franklin Township was formed in 1745. By an act of the New Jersey Legislature, Franklin Township was established on February 21st 1798 as one of New Jersey’s 104 initial townships.
Zimmerli Art Museum, Rutgers University
The Jane Voorhees Zilli Art Museum is found on Rutgers University’s campus in New Brunswick. More than 60,000 pieces are housed in the museum, which includes Russian and Soviet Nonconformist Art, American art from 18th century to present, six centuries of European art, with a special focus on nineteenth-century French Art. It is also known for its collection of works on paper, including drawings, photographs, original illustrations, and rare books.
Bascom PArk, Franklin Township
- Township Parks
685-ac. park with recreation features including gardens, a dog park, nature trails & a playground.
|Hours:||Sat – Sun (6am-9pm)|
East Jersey Old Town Village
East Jersey Old Town Village, located in Johnson Park, Piscataway NJ, is made up of 16 reconstructed and recreated 18th- and 19th-century structures. These structures are typical of the architecture found in rural New Jersey, including those used by merchant and farm communities.
Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park Trail
The D&R Canal Trail is a recreational trail in New Jersey. The trail’s 77-mile length is comprised of three sections that cross three counties. It includes a canal trail from New Brunswick to Trenton, a canal trail/rail trail from Trenton and Bull’s Island, as well as a rail trail running from Bull’s Island up to Frenchtown. These three trails combine to make the longest completed New Jersey trail. The trail follows the Delaware & Raritan Canal, which is located within Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park.
Rutgers Geology Museum
Geology Hall, which is part of Queen’s Campus’ historic district was added to the New Jersey Register of Historic Places (NJ Register of Historic Places) in 1973. The building currently houses administrative offices as well as the university’s geological museums. This museum is the oldest collegiate geology museum of the United States and was established by George Hammell Cook, a Rutgers geologist.
Cornelius Low House
The Cornelius Low House has been listed on both the New Jersey Register of Historic Places (NJ Register of Historic Places) and the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). Cornelius Low House/Middlesex County Museum is currently housed in the house.
The park had many facilities, including a small zoo that was closed in April 2022. The East Coast Greenway is connected by paths through the park. The East Jersey Olde Towne Village can be found adjacent.