East Orange was originally founded in 1863 as a township. It became a city when it was incorporated on January 1, 1909. East Orange was an agriculturally-rich area that was home to Newark industrialists and oil tycoons by the end of the 19th century. It became a popular destination for black middle class migrants from the South and the southern states after World War II.
The area now includes Newark and the Oranges as well as several other cities. The area was located in the northeast section of a grant that King Charles II, England made to his brother James Duke of York. James transferred the land to Sir George Carteret in 1664. The territory was named “New Jersey” because Carteret had been the Royal Governor of the Isle of Jersey.
Table of Contents
Monte Irvin Orange Park
Orange Park is a county park in the City of Orange, in Essex County, New Jersey, United States, located near the city’s border with East Orange. The park has a playground, basketball court, soccer field and man-made lake. The park was constructed in 1899 and opened the following year.
Watsessing park is located in Essex County, New Jersey. It’s in the city East Orange and in the Watsessing area of Bloomfield Township. It covers 69 acres and is located just west of Garden State Parkway. It also contains the confluence between the Second River, Toney’s Brook, and the Second River. Named “Watsessing” from the Lenni Lenape Indians, it means “crooked” and “elbow”. This name might be related to the Third River that flows through Bloomfield and forms an abrupt elbow in the town’s centre. The Olmsted Brothers of Brookline in Massachusetts designed Watsessing park in 1899.
|Hours||Mon – Sun (8am -7pm)|
Jersey Explorer Children’s Museum
Jersey Explorer Children’s Museum features interactive, true-to-life exhibits created by at-risk youth. The museum is a great place for children to visit and explore the many exhibits that relate to their world. The museum is interactive and your children will enjoy playing in the various exhibits like the time traveler or the tombs of ancient kings, stargazer or main street village. This interactive museum is a great place to take your children. They will learn while having fun.
Parks & Facilities
The park has 7 tennis courts on Rhode Island Avenue. There is also a basketball court at the corner of Elmwood Avenue & Oak Street. It also features a swimming pool, a pool house and walking track. This park is used for summer basketball league, little league soccer and minor league baseball. It serves as the practice field for P.P.Y. Panther’s Football Team (Promoting Progress For Youth).
The park includes a swimming pool, a house, 2 basketball courts, and a playground. This park is used for Little League baseball games. It serves as the East Orange Wildcats Football Association’s practice field. Columbian Park Field House was dedicated on November 11, 2010 as the East Orange Veterans of Foreign Wars Home Base (V.F.W.). American Legion.
St John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church
The Church of St. John the Evangelist, a parish of the Roman Catholic Church, is located in Orange Township, Essex County. It is part of the Archdiocese of Newark. It is known for its Gothic Revival-style church, which is a landmark on 94 Ridge Street.
Fast-food chain serving signature beef, chicken & fish sliders, plus extras such as onion rings.